Department of Optometry and Vision Science
MSc, BOptom, CertOcPharm
Building 503, Room 365
85 Park Road
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86484
Andrew is a Senior Tutor and registered optometrist and has worked in the Department of Optometry and Vision Science since 1994. He is currently enrolled in a part-time PhD and is undertaking research into the role of light exposure in the development of myopia (short-sight). Andrew teaches in the areas of applied optics, vision science, ocular disease and therapeutics, and clinical optometry.
Andrew is currently enrolled in a PhD studying the development of myopia (short-sight). In particular he is investigating the effects of environmental factors, including light exposure, on myopia development. He also has an interest in the link between visual perception and refractive error, as a basis for the development of myopia based on differential visual adaption responses in individuals. As a motorcyclist, Andrew is also interested in the role of vision in transportation.
- Phillips, J.R., Backhouse, S., Collins, A.V. 'Impacts of light on myopia', Impacts of light on myopia; Phillips, J.R. et al., Review in New Zealand Science Teacher, 112, p6-9, 2009.
- Black, J.M., Browning, S.R., Collins, A.V., Phillips, J.R.'A canine model of inherited myopia: Familial aggregation of refractive error in Labrador Retrievers', Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 49, (11), p4784-4789, 2008.
- Collins AV, Phillips JR, Bhana P, Dayton N. Visual Acuity and guiding performance in a group of guide dogs: effect of naturally-occurring myopia. 10th International Conference on Myopia, Cambridge UK, Abstract No 1, 2004
- Cairns G2, Collins A, McGhee CNJ2. A corneal model for slit-scanning elevation topography. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 23, 193-204, 2003.
- Phillips JR, Collins AV. Response of the chick eye to simple hyperopic astigmatic defocus. In: Myopia: 2000. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Myopia. Ed F Thorn, D Trollo, J Gwiazda. pp 162-165, 2000.